BRIGHT SPOTS & PUSHING BOUNDARIES
Recent animations by Austrian women artists
solar mechanix 1.1, Martina Tritthart, AT 2018
The program BRIGHT SPOTS & PUSHING BOUNDARIES curated by TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES assembles contemporary positions of Austrian female animation filmmakers. The films are currently touring around the world in cooperation with the Austrian Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration, and Foreign Affairs. With this program, we once again put the experimental animated film work of women artists at the center of attention.The spectrum of animation technology in analog and digital ranges from drawing and claymation to computer-generated abstraction.
- You are still there, Ingrid Gaier, 2017, 4´16
A visualization of a poem by Rose Ausländer that encourages the reader to embrace life. Mrs. Pribil died at the age of 86 in the apartment shown in the film; right until the end only her husband’s name was indicated on the door plate, even though she survived him by many years.
- Gerda Wunsch - The story of my grandmother as a persecuted Jew in the World War II, Bernadette Moser, Barbara Ecker, 2016, 6´12
Little Gerda only had a few happy years with her family before the Nazis came in 1938.
- Solar mechanix 1.1, Martina Tritthart, 2018, 3’28
An interplay of light and colour. Light phenomena turn into sensual geometric objects that interact with the soundtrack.
- Knagglig, Amelie Schlöglhofer, 2017, 2´33
A unique story about self-optimization and the struggle with it. Delicate and thoughtful, it explores daily life and surreality with a delightful sense of humor.
- Me-LOG, Eni Brandner, 2018, 6’52
A reflection on the image we create of ourselves through social media, how we manipulate this ‘ethereal’ image, and how it affects our views of gender and the perception of both self and other.
- Fly Us To The Moons, LIA, 2017, 5´35
A digitally animated work by LIA with accompanying sound by Damian Stewart. A swarm of forms, reminiscent of alien spaceships or mechanical bats, are suspended in space. Their sweeping movements create layered patterns of smooth curves, jagged edges and digital noise.
- The Wet Hair, Rebecca Akoun, 2015, 08’00
Sophie wants to have curls like her friend Camille, so she steps into the rain, even though her mother forbade her to go outside.
- Lanes, Evelyn Kreinecker, 2017, 5´
People are walking: day by day, by choice or by necessity, seeking happiness, finding uncertainty. Where should – can – must we go?
- Muybridge’s Disobedient Horses, Anna Vasof, 2018, 4´30
Where can we find the essence of cinematic illusion when we look into everyday life, and what happens when we use everyday situations, objects, spaces and actions as cinematographic mechanisms?
- How To Adapt, Maria Chalela, 2017, 1’25
How to adapt to today’s world as a human: these are the rules.
- Late Season, Daniela Leitner, 2017, 7´26
An elderly couple seem to have lost their affection for one another. After falling asleep on the beach one day, something incredible happens that rekindles their long lost romantic feelings.
- Glimpse of the Future, Marlene Heidinger, Maité Kalita, Silvia Knödlstorfer, Ji-yoon Lee, Esther Martens, Andreas Neudecker, Sebastian Doringer, Lucia de Quiqueran-Beaujeu, Amelie Schlöglhofer, 2017, 3´16
Made by nine students from the Painting and Animation class of the University of Applied Arts Vienna for the 150th anniversary of the institution, the film deals with the possible future of young artists, or even young people in general.
- 4.-5.5.2019 | La Fête de l'Europe | Paris, France
- 10.5.2019 | Project Kalliope meets Tricky Women - Women and Culture | Österreichische Botschaft Athen with the Theocharkis Foundation | Athens, Greece
- 11.5.2019 | Open House Day at Austrian Cultural Forum | Washington, USA
- 15.- 21.7.2019 | Anibar Animation Festival | Peja, Kosovo
- 12.10.2019 | TAF Thessaloniki Animation Festival
For more information and/or to book this program, please feel free to contact us:
TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Festival
Birgitt Wagner, Waltraud Grausgruber
Austrian Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration, and Foreign Affairs
BRIGHT SPOTS & PUSHING BOUNDARIES is a collaboration between TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES and the Austrian Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration, and Foreign Affairs.