Tricky Women/Tricky Realities 2023 Call
Show us your films!
Tricky Women/Tricky Realities is accepting entries for the 2023 festival edition, taking place in Vienna from the 8th to the 12th of March, 2023. In addition to the centrepiece of our festival - the international competition - we will pay special attention to animated filmmaking in Switzerland, as well as in Latin America.
Tricky Women/Tricky Realities is the only film festival in the world dedicated to animation by female and/or genderqueer artists. The deadline for applications for the preliminary selection is October 4th, 2022.
We cannot wait to see your powerful, subversive and evocative animated films!
Join us, as we exchange the laws of physics with the laws of imagination, replace the physical with the potential and mobilize the power of animation to explore and articulate some tricky realities!
The festival offers an international competition of animated short films finished after January 1st, 2021 and realised by female and queer-feminist artists (male co-directors are welcome). Each filmmaker, producer or distributor may submit as many films as they like. Each film submitted must be accompanied by an entry form. No films entered in prior Tricky Women/Tricky Realities Festivals shall be admitted.
- Maria Lassnig Golden Film Reel, worth 10,000 Euro, donated by Maria Lassnig Foundation
- TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award, worth 4,000 Euro, donated by the VdFS
- 3-month scholarship, to live and work at Q21/MQ under the Artist-in-Residence Program, worth 3,150 Euro
- The Grand Post Award, Post Production Voucher worth 2000 Euro
- Sabine & Nicolai Sawczynski Audience Award International Competition worth 1 000 Euro
- Hubert Sielecki Award for an Austrian Animation worth 500 Euro
- Up & Coming TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award
- Audience Award 2023 Up&Coming and Austrian Panorama
The special calls are not limited to current works – feel free to send us as many of your films as you like, whether new or "old" (but not already submitted ones).
- Work/Work Affairs (This program positions labor as a lens through which we can view the world. This can include (but is not limited to) films about economic exploitation, emancipation, maternal/domestic/emotional labor and how we determine value. Films do not need to be contemporary. This program is supported by Arbeiterkammer Wien)
- Feminist Topics (This program explores asymmetrical power dynamics relative to gender. Relevant films could be about the body, motherhood, abortion, activists, objectification and subjective experiences of tricky realities.)
- Fair Play (This program navigates the paths to justice in inherently unjust institutions. Topics could include identity politics (age, disability, race, gender, sexuality etc), equality of opportunity, climate change, ecofeminism and alternative visions of a just world.)
- Latin American Special (We are also planing a Latin America special and therefore are looking for short animated films made by Latin American female and queer-feminist artists, talking about the changes that you are experiencing as women in your societies, the challenges and conquests, the impact of feminism, visions for the future but also topics like body politics, femicides, violence against trans women, street harassment, abortion etc..)
- Animated Documentaries
We are very much looking forward to receiving your entries!
Please find our conditions of competition also here: