Conditions of Competition
TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES 2021, March 10 - 14
Tricky Women started 2001 and was the very first festival of animated films dedicated to female animation artists. It is always held in Vienna in March around International Women´s Day.
2021 the festival celebrates vibrantly its 20th anniversary. TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES is worldwide the only big recurring festival of animated films by female*/trans/inter creators.
Due to the Covid19 situation we have to expect the unexpected for March 2021. In case of a hybrid/online festival, we will clarify the online-screening rights with you in advance.
- TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award, worth 4,000 Euro
- 3-month scholarship to live and work at Q21/MQ under the Artist-in-Residence Program, worth 3,150 Euro
- Neo-Tel Award, worth 3,000 Euro
- Audience Award
- Award for an Austrian Animation
- Up & Coming TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award
Awards and prize money will go to the directing artists. The prizes and the amount of cash awarded may be subject to change.
Conditions of Competition
The festival offers an international competition of animated short films finished after January 1st, 2019 and realised by female*/trans/inter filmmakers (male co-directors are welcome).
Each filmmaker, producer or distributor may submit as many films as they like. Each film submitted must be accompanied by an entry form. No films entered in prior
TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Festivals shall be admitted.
The deadline for applications for the preliminary selection is October 1st, 2020.
The special calls are not limited to recent works – feel free to send us as many of your films as you like, whether new or “old” (but not already submitted ones). We are very much looking forward to receiving your entries!
- Special Call Work/Work Affairs (in cooperation with Arbeiterkammer Wien/Chamber of Labour Vienna)
We welcome shorts entitled “work affairs” (digital work,paid/unpaid work,care work,income gap,basic income,work-life-balance,flexible working hours/“working without limits”,work utopias).
- Feminism rocks!!! – We call out for feminist films!
- and Animated Feature Films for our non-competitive sections.
The preliminary selection will be announced in the end of January. Films to be screened at the festival must then be sent to the festival in one of the following screening formats:
- 35 mm
- Files with Codec DNxHD/DNxHR, ProRes and Codec h.264/h.265.
*DCPs will only be accepted in the following format settings:
- Frame Rate 24, 25, 30 fps
- Aspect Ratio: 1998×1080 px (1:1,85 = „Flat“) or 2048×858 px (1:2,39 = „Scope“)
- Image Format: JPEG2000-XYZ in 2K, SMPTE or Interop compatibel.
- USB-Hard Drive, CRU Bay
- Hard Drive Formatting: ext2/3 oder NTFS (1 partition with uncompressed DC packages only – no other data).
- All fields for the „Composition Parameters” must be filled in and must comply with the Digital Cinema Naming Convention
Content Title, Content Annotation Text, Content Kind, Reel Annotation Text.
Submit via shortfilmdepot.com or via TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES online form
The entry can be uploaded via www.shortfilmdepot.com or the submission online form on our website. Beside the film credits we need a short synopsis of the film, 1 film still (jpg/tiff in 300 dpi), a bio/filmography and a preview film file not bigger than 80MB (we recommend a size of about 960x540, .mp4 or h.264). We don´t accept trailers and the file must be named with the TITLE of the film and the NAME of the direting artist! Non-English movies must be applied with English subtitles.
The screening copy must arrive no later than February 7th, 2021 at the festival office either via snail mail or online transfer (TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES, culture2culture, Q21/MuseumsQuartier, Museumsplatz 1, 1070 Vienna, Austria, firstname.lastname@example.org). Film/video copies from abroad must bear the label “temporary import – for cultural purposes only – no trade value” on the package. Dispatches from non-EU states must contain a pro-forma invoice (amounting to a maximum of 20 Euro).
Rights and Duties
- The costs of transport (to the festival) as well as customs duties, etc. are the sole responsibility of the sender. The festival organisation will cover the costs of returning the screening copies.
- During the festival the productions are insured for their print value. The insurance is valid from the time of postal receipt of the film until it is sent back.
- In case of the copy being lost or damaged only the material value can be refunded. Compensation claims must be made within 10 days after the film has been returned.
- The preliminary selection committee decides on the details of competition programming.
- The directing artist/contact person will be informed of the preliminary selection committee’s decision before the start of the festival.
- Applicants grant the festival the right to show parts of their production (to a maximum of 3 minutes) on television and/or internet broadcaster.
- By submitting a film, the makers consent to include it in the competition programme or the other non-competitive programs.
- The directing artist/contact person agrees to be part of the TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Birthday-Tour.
- Applicants acknowledge and accept these conditions.